Tracking Code

Friday, May 21, 2010

What is the difference between a tuk-tuk and a rickshaw anyway?

Having a lazy afternoon in Ornex with the Kolbs. It's beautiful and sunny out, nice little breeze. A perfect spring day for mowing the lawn and barbecuing. Ribs will be had shortly. Doing some daydreaming about Nepal for now, and mentally gearing up for the journey to Morocco in a few days, as well.

One of the many things that was striking to me about Nepal was the variety of vehicles. That reminds me that Ruthie referred to me as "the alliterator" earlier this afternoon. I'll try not to get too carried away.

Anyhow, so vehicles, yes. I've already mentioned the Tata Sumos that provide a nice alternative to buses around the country. Here is an example of a typical stop on the road from Kathmandu to Hetauda in the south.


Another very common vehicle is the Tata truck. They are wonderful in so many ways. So colorful. Invariably covered with paintings of gods and other religious imagery. Things written in Nepali, which I couldn't read. And things written in English: Slow Drive, Long Life; Speed Control; etc. Here is an example from a side street in Hetauda near Tiffany's work. Note the swastika, which I discussed previously here.


Motorcycles are, of course, extremely common. Generally driven by a man, who nearly always wears a helmet. There is often a female passenger, who essentially never wears a helmet. Incidentally, both of my trekking guides for the two different treks I went on explained that owning a motorcycle is one of the surest ways to a girl's heart in Kathmandu. For the most part in Nepal dating does not happen. Marriages are arranged by parents, and there are one or more viewings of the potential bride. I was led to believe that while things are changing a bit in Kathmandu, they are still quite traditional in the rest of the country. Anyhow, so here are some motorcycles on School Road in Hetauda.


And now the answer you've all been waiting for to the question posed in the title of this post. My understanding is that these are tuk-tuks, right off of Main Road in Hetauda.

And that this is a rickshaw, also off of Main Road in Hetauda.


In Nepal rickshaws are very common, both in places like touristy Thamel in Kathmandu, as well as in ordinary everyday places like Hetauda. Honestly, I never took a ride in either. They are omnipresent, though, and very exotic coming from the US. Their utility seems fairly self-evident.

And now the smell of the ribs is beginning to completely overwhelm any thoughts I might have had an hour ago about distant Nepal. Time to eat!

4 comments:

Molly Strong said...

I love all your photos and links and information about things I did not know. I love that you get carried away to any degree that you're up for, you alliterator you! :-)

brian said...

Yeah, I certainly can get carried away... ;-)

Jeff K. said...

That's "The Alliterator", in caps, thank you.

brian said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff. ;-)

See you guys in a few days. Hope Italy was wonderful!